Health Information Technologies
The program is designed to provide students with the skills necessary to enter the workforce as an HIT professional, also known as clinical informaticists.聽 These specialists transform data into information used to improve care delivery. These skills include networking, web design and maintenance, programming and database skills.聽 These students will be able to support Healthcare information technology needs.聽 Most of the course will also allow students to sit for nationally recognized certifications such as CompTIA HIT, Cisco, Microsoft and Oracle.
With new regulatory requirements and business goals, healthcare executives recognize the need to hire people who understand the movement to an integrated health system, including the need for common goals for healthcare quality as well as patient drug adherence in a new outcomes-based environment that pays for value over volume.聽 The new requirements for electronic health records (EHRs) include penalties for non-compliance. For this reason, hospitals, physicians and other caregivers have the greatest need for IT specialists in the health sector.
It is possible to compete the degree by means of online or hybrid courses. All courses are designed with the potential for transfer to a four-year institution.
Health Information Technology candidate must:
- have command of the English language;
- have normal vision for reading instructions and course materials and for performing manipulative tasks;
- be able to complete requirements for college level classes;
- be able to understand and follow both written and oral instructions;
- have sufficient vision to distinguish colors, read gauges, scopes, diagnostic equipment and information from a computer screen (adaptive equipment acceptable);
- have reading comprehensive skills sufficient to read and comprehend technical literature;
- have communication skills sufficient to prepare required reports;
- have sufficient hearing to distinguish various sounds and noises (adaptive equipment acceptable);
- have sufficient dexterity to perform manual skills related to computer operation.
- it is also recommended that all candidates interview with the department chair.
At the completion of the program, each student will have:
- skills necessary to be a self-directed and continuous learner;
- knowledge of operating systems, applications, database systems, hardware, programming concepts, networks, and online resources;
- knowledge of security issues, risks, tools, and policies;
- ability to apply a systematic and methodical approach to solve problems;
- strong documentation skills and knowledge of general business principles and project management;
- obtain specific technical skills to enter the workplace
HEALTH INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES DEGREE
|CIS136L||Introduction to Computers||2||2||3|
|CIS140L||Introduction to Programming||2||2||3|
|CIS2270L||IT Development Applications||2||2||3|
|HIT110L||Health Information Technologies I||2||2||3|
|聽||Social Science Elective||3||0||3|
|HIT150L||Health Information Technologies II||2||2||3|
|CIS271L||Analyzing Software Requirements||2||2||3|
|CIS242L||Database Management & Design||2||2||3|
|CIS234L||Website Design and Development||3||0||3|
|CIS276L||Developing Web Applications||2||2||3|
|聽||Humanities/Fine Arts/Foreign Language Elective||3||0||3|
|HIT210L||Health Information Technologies III||2||2||3|
|CIS242L||Database Management and Design||2||2||3|
|聽||Liberal Arts Elective||3||0||3|